Thursday, February 21, 2013

How to Protect Your Self-Esteem

-->
Have you ever had someone say something to you that could only be interpreted as hurtful and mean? Were you guilty of letting the comment play over and over again in your mind? Did you allow the comment to “get to you?”

I think at some point, all of us have been the victim of a negative comment. It’s unfortunate but it happens. Just recently it happened to me. I had someone say something to me that was mean and insulting. Initially I was offended. It bothered me, but I knew I had to shake it off.

Negative comments that are allowed to linger can and will mess with your head and lower your self-esteem. This is why it is important that we learn to combat negativity and protect our self-esteem.

Here is a guideline to follow:

1.     Know who you are and be confident in this image of yourself. That way when people make comments that don’t gel with the image that you have of yourself, you can quickly let these contrary views fade away.

2.     Realize that just because somebody says something, doesn’t mean that it's true. It is just their opinion and it should be treated as such. 

3.     Learn the difference between constructive criticism and destructive criticism. Constructive criticism is beneficial. It is for your own good. It helps you to learn and grow. On the flip side, destructive criticism is toxic. It is meant to tear you down and crush your self-esteem. 

4.     Accept yourself just as you are; this means that you must learn to accept all aspects of your character including the good, the bad and everything in between. There is a quote I like that I find to be true, it says, “ Once you have accepted your flaws, no-one can use them against you.” 

5.      Realize that God doesn’t make any mistakes. He created you to be you just as you are.  You must learn to say, “By the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain” 1 Corinthians 15:10.

6.     Refuse to accept negativity. Don’t let negative words get into your spirit. If a comment is detrimental and it doesn’t uplift you, motivate you or bless you, you don’t have to accept it. Give it back to the sender and move on.

Having a healthy self-esteem is so very important.  Don’t let negativity keep you down!!!  Always remember that you are “amazingly and miraculously made.” God bless.


©2013 by Tanya Guerrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment